Yelagin Palace is the main attraction of the architectural ensemble of Yelagin Island, the summer residence of Russian emperors. The building is a cultural heritage site of Russia.
Construction of the Palladian-style palace lasted from 1785 to 1790. The author of the project was the architect D. Quarenghi.
At the beginning of the 19th century, Emperor Alexander I acquired Yelagin Island. The sovereign instructed the architect Karl Rossi to re-equip the palace so that Dowager Empress Maria Feodorovna could live in it.
By 1822, the Elagin Palace was transformed. Rossi redesigned the building to blend in harmoniously with the island landscape.
Sculptors and painters were involved in the design of the interior of the palace. Rossi placed on the first floor of the building a long suite of several halls with interiors in the Empire style. In the Oval Hall, the Blue and Crimson Drawing Rooms, tourists can see the original palace decoration of the early 19th century.
On the second floor there are the imperial chambers, rooms for ladies, exhibitions of works of art: painting, porcelain, glass, wood and metal. The third floor, by decision of Rossi, was given over to a church in which members of the royal family prayed.
The wide staircases of the Elagin Palace are richly decorated with cast-iron statues, which are exact copies of the famous antique sculptures.
During the Second World War, the Elagin Palace was repeatedly bombed. One of the bombs set off a fire that destroyed parts of the interior, causing the roof to collapse. After the Victory, the restoration commission expressed great doubts that the palace could be restored. There was a plan to completely remodel the building into a modern ballroom. Fortunately, the decision to reconstruct the facility was nevertheless made.
The work continued for 8 years. In 1960, scaffolding was removed from the Elagin Palace. The splendor of this stunning building shocked Petersburgers: today it is considered one of the most beautiful structures in the city on the Neva.
Elagin Palace can be seen in V. Bortko's TV series based on M. Bulgakov's novel The Master and Margarita. The director placed a psychiatric clinic in the building, into which the Master and poet Homeless fell.
Nowadays, the palace hosts excursions, lectures on culture and art, master classes, masquerades and balls.
Working hours: 10: 00-18: 30 (Monday - day off).