One of the most famous palaces of St. Petersburg and visited by tourists, the Mikhailovsky Palace can rightfully be considered. A grandiose building in the style of high classicism is located in the very center of the Northern capital, on Italian Street near the Arts Square. The creation of the famous architect Carl Rossi attracts attention with its scale, correct layout of the building and the surrounding area.
For many years, the Mikhailovsky Palace has been the main building of the Russian Museum; thousands of art objects are stored and exhibited here. Permanent exhibitions are combined in the palace with temporary projects - exhibitions and concerts.
Mikhailovsky Palace: history, architect
Emperor Paul I made the decision to build a palace for his youngest son Mikhail Pavlovich in 1798, after the birth of the young prince. A fund was organized to create the residence, however, the death of Pavel Petrovich in 1801 postponed the implementation of this plan for a long time.
The emperor's eldest son, Alexander I, who ascended the throne, decided to fulfill his father's will. Thus, the construction of the Mikhailovsky Palace began only in 1819. The development of the project started two years earlier; it took a long time to select the territory for the construction. Initially, it was planned to rebuild an already existing building - the Vorontsov Palace or the house of Count Chernyshev, but then, Carl Rossi chose a wasteland for the construction of a new palace. The undeveloped area made it possible to create not just a new building, but a whole architectural ensemble, with a square and a park.
Panorama of the palace from the Mikhailovsky Garden:
The construction of the Mikhailovsky Palace was completed in 1825. At the same time, the adjacent Mikhailovsky Garden was created, another architect, Adam Adamovich Menelas, worked on it. After the grand opening and consecration, the ensemble was handed over to the brother of the emperor Michael.
The Russian Museum in the Mikhailovsky Palace was organized in 1895 by decree of Emperor Nicholas II, after the grandchildren of Mikhail Pavlovich transferred the building to the treasury.
Panoramic palace (main facade):
Layout and interiors of the palace
The center of the architectural ensemble, of course, is the main building of the Mikhailovsky Palace. There are wings attached to it on both sides: West - Freilinsky and East - Manezhny. The building has 4 floors, the main facade overlooks the main entrance and the Arts Square, the second facade can be viewed from the Mikhailovsky Garden.
Despite the large number of rooms and halls, the layout of the floors of the palace was very harmonious. The architect Karl Rossi managed to create a real masterpiece - the luxury of the interiors did not seem vulgar, all the elements are tastefully selected and created in the same style.
Halls of the Mikhailovsky Palace:
The layout of the Mikhailovsky Palace is as follows: on the ground floor there are rooms for everyday use: offices, children's rooms, guest rooms. The ballrooms are located in the western and northern parts of the palace, the state chambers of the princely couple are in the eastern.
After the transfer of the complex to the possession of Mikhail Pavlovich, many premises were redeveloped. The wife of the prince - Elena Pavlovna - followed the updates of architectural styles and tried to follow various fashion trends, rebuilding the premises of the palace and changing the interiors. After the sale of the Mikhailovsky Palace and the organization of the Russian Museum in it, the architect V.F.Svinin, invited by Nicholas I, carried out major restoration work.
In addition to the renovation of engineering devices, doorways and narrow corridors were expanded in the palace; small rooms were combined to create large halls; part of the decor, most of the fireplaces, stoves, doors, wooden partitions were removed. The goal of this global redevelopment was to create comfortable exhibition halls and maximum fire safety, as well as to restore the original interiors, by Carl Rossi.
Today, visitors to the Mikhailovsky Palace have access to 39 exhibition halls, as well as the Main Vestibule, the Main Staircase and the Gallery of the second floor of the palace, decorated with various elements, the basis for the creation of which was the Russian weapon. Everywhere you can see images of military paraphernalia, shields and swords, the Russian coat of arms and other symbols of the state and military power of the country.
The halls display the collections of the Russian Museum of St. Petersburg - icon painting, painting, graphics, sculpture, furniture, fabrics, decorative and applied art, costumes, weapons and other exhibits.
In addition to the Main Lobby, the original layout has been preserved only in the White (White Column) Hall. This is hall number 11, where Princess Elena Pavlovna spent musical evenings. It displays furniture, paintings and sculptures that belonged to the first owners of the Mikhailovsky Palace. Wall paintings, parquet flooring, furnishings and other elements were restored according to the sketches of Carl Rossi.
Mikhailovsky Palace in St. Petersburg: opening hours
You can visit the Mikhailovsky Palace any day except Tuesday. Thursday from 13:00, on other days from 10:00 to 20:00. Ticket offices are open until 19:30.
Inspection is possible only as part of an excursion group, for individual visitors on Sundays, a "Weekend Excursion" is organized. Gathering the group at the box office at 13:00 and 15:00.
Excursions to the Mikhailovsky Palace can be ordered by phone +7 (812) 314-34-48, inquire about benefits and ask other questions by phone +7 (812) 595-42-48.
The Mikhailovsky Palace with a garden is located in the most touristy place of St. Petersburg, between the embankment of the Griboyedov Canal, the embankment of the Moika River, Sadovaya and Inzhenernaya streets. It is surrounded by famous sights - Savior on Spilled Blood, Benois Wing, Mikhailovsky Theater, Great Philharmonic Hall, Mikhailovsky Castle, Russian Ethnographic Museum, Field of Mars and Engineering Square.
It will not be difficult to get to the Mikhailovsky Palace, because it is only 500 meters from the main tourist street - Nevsky Prospekt. It has two metro stations - "Nevsky Prospekt" and "Gostiny Dvor". From the first station, walk along the embankment of the Griboyedov Canal, from the second - along Sadovaya Street.
Many public transport stops at the Kazan Cathedral. Buses No. 3, 3 M, 3 MB, 4 M, 4 MB, 5 M, 5 MB, 7, 22, 24, 27, 191 and trolleybuses No. 1, 5, 7, 10 go to the Nevsky Prospekt metro station stop , 11, 22.
Minibuses K-107, K-289 run to the stop "Ploschad Iskusstv".
At the intersection of Sadovaya and Italyanskaya streets, trams No. 3 (stop “Italianskaya ulitsa”), buses No. 2 M, 49 and minibuses No. K-212 (stop “Inzhenernaya ulitsa") stop.
Tourists often prefer to walk along Nevsky Prospekt and the historical center on foot. But if you are coming from remote areas, then it makes sense to consider taking a taxi. Yandex applications will help you place an order. Taxi, Uber, Taxovichkof, Concord, Lucky, Gett, Maxim, which are very popular in St. Petersburg.