Carruzel bridge in Paris

sights

The 19th century brought a real building boom to Paris: triumphal arches, boulevards, new buildings and, of course, bridges. After all, Paris stretches along both banks of its "main avenue" - the majestic Seine. The constant expansion of the city and the rapid growth of the population of new areas required the construction of new, already stationary, river crossings. So, during the reign of King Louis Philippe, the Carruzel Bridge (Pont du Carrousel), then still the Bridge of the Holy Fathers, appeared.

New bridge next to the Louvre

In 1831, King Louis Philippe authorized the construction of a new bridge to continue the Rue des Holy Fathers, which gave it its first name. Engineer Antoine Polonceau developed an innovative project - instead of the traditional suspension bridge, he built an arch made of cast iron and wood. On October 30, 1834, traffic was opened along it. Then this bridge was sometimes called the Louvre due to its proximity to the residence of the kings. A fee was charged for the passage, since it belonged to a private investor on an annuity basis until 1867.

But in 1849, the Paris City Hall decides to buy the bridge and collects a record two million francs for those times. And in 1850 the duty is abolished. At the same time, the name of the bridge was finally fixed - Carruzel. During the Second Empire, the Carruzel bridge connected two train stations - Montparnasse and Saint-Lazare, which increased the flow of people and carriages through it and made the wooden structural elements unusable. In 1883 it was closed for half a year for a major overhaul. Even then, experts advised replacing wood with reinforced concrete. But such a reconstruction will be carried out only in 1906.

It is interesting to read:  Museum of Modern History in Paris

New Carruzel Bridge in a new location

In 1930, the Carruzel bridge was planned to be demolished, as it was too low for riverboats and too narrow, only 11,5 meters, for traffic. But then they decided to move it a few tens of meters, right to the gates of the Louvre, and raise it to the desired height. In 1939 the construction of the new bridge was completed.

The engineers retained the silhouette of the bridge, familiar to the inhabitants of Paris, but used a new material for construction - reinforced concrete. And so that it does not violate the architectural ensemble of the Louvre, the Royal Bridge, the Pont des Arts and the Arc de Triomphe Carruzel, it was lined with stone, preserving the unified style of Old Paris.

The statues of Industry, Abundance, Paris and the Seine were transferred from the old bridge to the new one, and in 1946 telescopic lanterns were installed at the entrances to the bridge, which have a height of 13 meters during the day and rise to 22 meters at night. They did not work for a long time, in 1999 they made an attempt to repair them, but the lanterns still do not work.

Tragedy of the Carruzel Bridge

Since May 1, 2003, the Carruzel Bridge has become the site of an annual commemoration of those who died at the hands of racists. The fact is that in 1995 a Moroccan died here at the hands of a gang of skinheads.

The Carruzel Bridge is a unique combination of architectural classics and modernity.

Address and how to get there

Address: Pont du Carrousel, Paris 75007
Metro: Palais Royal - Musée du Louvre
RER train: Gare du Musée d'Orsay

Source
INFO-MANIAC