Bagatelle Garden (Parc de Bagatelle) occupies the central part of the Bois de Boulogne with an area of 24 hectares and is one of the structural divisions of the Botanical Garden of Paris.
Creation and first century of the park’s history
В начале 18 в. там, где сегодня находится один из самых интересных парков Парижа, в окружении небольшого сада располагался особняк, принадлежавший Л. П. Беланже. В 1720 году он уступает права на него герцогу д’Эсте. Новый владелец не жалеет средств для того, чтобы сделать дом более просторным и подходящим для светских праздников и развлечений. После смерти герцога парк Багатель переходит в собственность маркизы Монконсе, у которой не хватало средств на его содержание.
In 1775, the park and the mansion acquired the Count of D'Artois for 36 thousand lire. By this time, the garden and the palace were in a condition requiring restoration. One of the motivations for starting work on landscaping the park and rebuilding the palace was the bet that the Count of D'Artois concluded with Marie Antoinette in 1777. According to its conditions, Bagatel was supposed to be transformed during the period that the queen was going to spend in Fonteblo.
The count won the bet, as 900 workers and outstanding architects and gardeners were involved in round-the-clock work. Park design was entrusted to F.J. Belange. He proposed a garden arrangement that combined the principles of English and Oriental garden art. For its implementation, the famous Scottish gardener T. Blackie was invited.
On the initially almost flat territory of the garden, a relief was created with artificial hills, between which a winding riverbed with a cascade was laid at the confluence of a decorative lake. The garden was decorated with elegant bridges, the house of the Philosophers in the Gothic style, the Hermitage, numerous arbors and pavilions. The implementation of the architect of the project took about 10 years and was completed by 1786.
In the XIX century. Bagatelle landscape park has changed several owners, among which were the Duke of Bury, Emperor Napoleon I, Count of d'Artois, Marquis d'Hertford, G. Murey, R. Wallace. During this century, noticeable changes have occurred in its structure and appearance. In 1835, greenhouses were built on its territory, and a little later the Trianon Pavilion appeared, the caretakers' houses and two terraces were improved.
Архитектурно-ландшафтный ансамбль в 19-21 веках
In 1905, the city hall of Paris acquired the garden. Since that time, a walk along its alleys has become available to any Parisian and guest of the capital. At the beginning of this century, the famous rose garden was created, which became one of the main attractions of Bagatel Park.
Основная работа на первоначальном этапе была проведена мастерами ландшафтного искусства Ж. Граверо и Ж-К. Форестье. На этой сравнительно небольшой части территории парка высажено более 9 тыс. роз 1200 сортов. Представленные здесь цветы скомпонованы в живописные группы по цветовой палитре, фоном для которых служит тисовая аллея. Розарий парка Багатель регулярно становится местом проведения ежегодного международного фестиваля роз.
Since 1905, three sectors have taken shape in the park: the central part with an English-Chinese-style garden, the northern sector with an English garden around Lake Varé with lawns and flower beds, and the southern part with a Hatford greenhouse, rose garden, Moorish garden and Amours de Sudre fountain. Along the alleys of the garden in the most picturesque places, figured flowerpots, statues of Venus, Diana-hunters, Girls with a cymbal and other sculptures are installed.
The small Bagatelle palace with a classical-style facade and decorated with statues of Hebe, Flora and Clio is also one of the most interesting sights of the garden. In its halls, an exhibition of decorative and applied art of three historical eras and styles: Rococo, Classicism and Romanticism is currently unfolded.
The infinite variety of the landscape of the park is explained by a large number of artificial natural objects. Numerous grottoes, waterfalls and lakes in the cozy corners of the park create its romantic atmosphere, which attracts tens of thousands of visitors every year.
Address: Route de Sèvres À Neuilly, Paris 75016.
Phone: + 33 1 53 64 53 80.
Metro: Pont de Neuilly.
Run time: 9: 30-20: 00.