Park Passy (Parc de Passy) in Paris

sights

The history of the creation of Passy Park (Parc de Passy) in the 16th arrondissement of Paris is connected with healing waters. As early as the mid-17th century, the French Academy of Sciences recognized the health benefits of local sources. A few decades later, the abbe Le Ragua opened a sanatorium on this site in 1720. The institution was a great success and attracted many celebrities. It was in the greenhouse of the park that Jean-Jacques Rousseau composed the opera The Village Sorcerer.

After the departure of the director of the sanatorium to America at the end of the 18th century, the park was abandoned for some time, until it was acquired in 1801 by Benjamin Delesser (1773-1847): a botanist, zoologist, banker, philanthropist, and also a successful entrepreneur. His main achievement in this field was the creation of machines for extracting sugar from beets at a time when the supply of sugar from the French colonies was problematic due to the war with England.

In 1812, a sugar beet factory was opened on the Passy embankment. Benjamin Delessert and his brothers Etienne and François built neoclassical mansions in the park. In 1822, the first suspension bridge in France, 52 meters long, was installed there, connecting the mansion of Benjamin Delesser with the factory.

After 1868, the park finally lost its recreational role. From 1917 to 1919, during the First World War, the headquarters of the American troops was located there. After World War II, new homes were built on the River Seine and along the Rue Renoir, flanking the park. Between 1950 and 1990, the Ministry of Reconstruction was located there, which later moved to the La Defense quarter.

The name "Passi" among literature lovers is associated with the name of the famous French writer Honore de Balzac. In the 40s of the 19th century, he lived and worked in a small house near the park. Balzac was constantly in debt, and the location of the house, among the trees, helped him quietly move away from persistent creditors. Today there is a museum of the writer.

It is interesting to read:  Gellert Baths in Budapest

Currently, Passy Park, located on a slope above the Seine, covers an area of ​​1,3 hectares. Its green area consists of a lawn and an avenue of flower arches. There is a 200 square meter playground for children. The park can be accessed via President Kennedy Street.

Getting there

Address: 32 Avenue du President Kennedy, Paris 75016
Metro: Passy
Bus: Lamballe - Ankara, Pont de Bir-Hakeim
Run time: 8:00-20:30

Source
INFO-MANIAC