Park Temple - Elie Wiesel (Square du Temple - Elie Wiesel) in Paris

sights

Temple - Elie Wiesel Park is located in the historical part of Paris within the 3rd arrondissement of the capital. Green area with an area of ​​7,1 thousand m2 adjoins in the Perret street area to the northern border of the Marais quarter and is bounded by Rue de Bretagne in the south, Eugène Spoller from the east and Temple on the opposite side.

Secrets and dramas of history

Although officially over 150 years old, Temple-Elie Wiesel Park has a much more ancient and exciting history. Back in 1240, vast land holdings in the vicinity of medieval Paris belonged to the legendary Order of the Knights Templar, the memory of which is preserved in the name of the park.

Gardens and forests, covering an area of ​​130 hectares, surrounded one of the fortresses of the order - the Tower of the Temple (La tour du Temple). The residence of the most powerful Christian order of the Middle Ages was constantly visited by both influential aristocrats and "princes of the church", and people of simple classes.

After the defeat of the fabulously wealthy order by King Philip the Fair in 1312, these possessions of the Templars became the property of the Hospitaller Order of St. John. In 1667, at the initiative of the Grand Prior, Jacques de Souvray, the former Tower of the Temple was rebuilt into a Renaissance palace. The guests of solemn receptions in the halls with gilded decor were Zh-Zh. Russo and W.A. Mozart.

After the Great French Revolution, the palace was nationalized and soon turned into a prison. It became the last home for the deposed King Louis XVI and his heir Louis XVII. In 1809, by order of Napoleon I, most of the palace was destroyed.

Five years later, in memory of the royal family, Madame Royal ordered the first willows and cypresses to be planted here. After the restoration of the Bourbon monarchy, a small monastery was housed in the part of the palace that had survived by that time, which was occupied by army barracks until 1853.

It is interesting to read:  Magdeburg Water Bridge - Crossroads of Water Arteries

During the grandiose urban transformations of Paris by Baron Haussmann, an English-style city park was laid out on a wasteland in 1865 according to one of the 24 projects of Jean-Charles Alphand. Until 2016, it was called Temple Park, but the mayor of the 3rd district, Pierre Eidenbaum, proposed renaming it in memory of the writer and philosopher Elie Wiesel (1921-2016). After a year of discussions, the park was officially given its modern double name.

In the shade of the trees

The winding paths of the Temple Park - Elie Wiesel meander among lawns and flower beds, on the sides of which are planted trees and shrubs of exotic species. In total, 71 species of trees and 191 species of plants grow in it.

Here you can find Caucasian pterocaria, Chinese cedar, quince, gingko biloba. There are very old trees in the park, for example, the "father of all chestnuts" of Paris, planted in 1615, a 20-m-high Byzantine hazel-tree bicentennial, and a Japanese sophora with a trunk circumference of 2,7 m.

On the banks of a small pond, into which an artificial waterfall falls from the rocks, numerous mallards live. Especially for them, in the middle of the reservoir there is a tiny islet overgrown with reeds and inaccessible to people. For nesting starlings in the park, there are two zones of bush thickets, where birds feel completely safe.

Back in 1900, a summer stage was built in the park for concerts and open-air shows. The townspeople come to Temple - Elie Wiesel to play ping-pong or chess while the children have fun on the playground.

This green corner of Paris has its own memorial area. In autumn 2007, near the largest lawn in the park, a Wall of Remembrance was opened, dedicated to dozens of Jewish children aged 2 months to 6 years, deported from the city in 1942-1944.

It is interesting to read:  Tuileries Garden in Paris

In addition, in the park you can pay tribute to the wonderful French poets and composers. In 1879, a bronze statue of Pierre Beranger by sculptor Amedi Dalmar was installed here. Destroyed during the Second World War, it was rebuilt by Henri Lagriful in 1953.

The second monument of the Temple Park - Elie Wiesel - is a bust of the "French Orpheus" by Guillaume Boquillon-Vilhem with a bronze portrait of Eugene Delaport in a medallion on a pedestal.

Getting there

Address: 64 Rue de Bretagne, Paris 75003

Source
INFO-MANIAC