Piazza Vittorio Romans abbreviated as Vittorio Emanuele II (piazza Vittorio Emanuele II). Not so long ago, among the inhabitants of the city, it was known for a large market located on its territory. However, today there is no market - it was moved to another place, and the church of Sant'Eusebio became visible on the square.
History of occurrence
Initially, Victor Emmanuel II Square was known as Joachim Murat Square. Some time later, the square was renamed Ferdinand II Square. This square was located along the avenue, which is called Victor Emmanuel. Two important and famous buildings surround the square on both sides. The first is the Palace of Justice. The construction of this palace lasted for six years (1930-1936). On the other side is the Palace of St. George. In 1889, a fountain was added to the general architectural ensemble of the square.
Architecture and description
The building of Justice has a special structure and reflects the style of the fascist times. It is a common structure that is made of stone and cement. The main facade of the Palace of Justice is directed to the street Antonio Nobile. In front of the entrance, you can see a stone statue dedicated to the goddess of justice. On a stone ramp stands a majestic statue holding a sword. Also in the upper main part of the palace you can see another Latin inscription: "IVSTITIA".
As for the Palace of St. George, this building was built between 1874 and 1876. The palace was named after the savior and patron saint of the city. The palace was built on the site where the monastery of the Celestine order was located earlier. The main architect of the Palace of St. George is Gerardo Regghe. Today the local municipality is located here.
Three memorial plaques can be found in the lobby of the building. The first slab is dedicated to Count Amedeo the Sixth. The count died in 1383 during a plague epidemic. The second slab was installed in memory of the victims of the 1799 Neapolitan revolution. The third plaque is dedicated to the memory of the brave Lieutenant Giuseppe Albino, who died in 1892 in the military battle of Adua. This memorial plaque is decorated with a gold medal, which was awarded to the lieutenant for services to the fatherland.
During the German occupation, the palace was significantly damaged, but the facade of the building survived. After the reconstruction, the building of the palace was restored. In the lobby of the Palace of St. George, there is a statue of St. George on a horse.
Another important building is located in the palace itself. On its right side there is a church consecrated in honor of the Madonna of the Liberation. It has no distinctive features and no designations on the main facade of the building. The main attraction of the church is the ancient wooden statuette of the Holy Madonna.
The square of Victor Emmanuel II has changed its appearance more than once over a long period of its existence. The buildings are of different styles and shapes. For example, the palace of St. George has a portico decorated with columns. These columns also support the balcony. The upper floor of the palace is decorated with rectangular windows. But the lower floor and arches have the usual semicircular shape.
The National Museum of Oriental Art is located in the vicinity of Victor Emmanuel II Square. Also nearby you can visit the Basilica of St. Mary the Great and the Cathedral of St. John Lateran.
Address: Piazza Vittorio, Rome, Italy
Victor Emmanuel II Square is open to visitors at any time. Near the square there is a Roman metro station - "Vittorio Emanuele". On the metro map, this station is indicated on line A.