Diaghilev Square (La place Diaghilev), named after the ballet impresario and organizer of the "Russian Seasons" S. Diaghilev (1872-1929) is located in the 9th arrondissement of Paris.
History and layout
This square was formed as a result of the demolition of several houses along the Rue Maturan during a large-scale reconstruction of Paris, initiated by the prefect of the Seine, Baron Haussmann. It has the shape of an irregular rectangle offset south of Boulevard Haussmann. The movement on it is organized around the perimeter in a circular manner: from the east side, Osman Boulevard and rue Gluck lead to it.
On the opposite side, Osman Boulevard continues and the first houses are located along Matyuran Street. Alternatively, from the square you can drive along rue Scribe to the south and north along rue de Mogador. In the central part of the square, on a small round area, there is a decorative mini-square, in which trees and shrubs are planted in large containers.
The modern name was given to it in 1965 in honor of the figure of the Russian theater and the founder of the group "World of Art" S. P. Diaghilev. From 1909 to 1929 he was the organizer of the "Russian Seasons" in Paris for the opera, and then the ballet company, which he created.
Among the performers he invited were world-famous singers and dancers: F. I Shalyapin, T. P. Karsavina, V. F. Nijinsky, S. M. Lifar, B. F. Nizhinskaya. MM Fokin, J. Balanchine, LF Myasin took part in staging the performances of his ballet troupe.
Notable buildings and monuments
On the north side of the square is the first department store of the world famous Galeries Lafayette retail chain. It was opened in a building designed by the architect J. Shedan in 1912. A striking architectural detail of this Art Nouveau house is the large glass dome, designed by engineer J. Gruber. The second building of the department store is located on the western side of the square.
On the opposite side of the square to the house of J. Shedan, there is the Opera Garnier, which until 1989 was officially called the Grand Opera. Its building was built in the Beaux-Arts style by the architect C. Garnier in 1860-1875. On the east side, the front of the head office of the Societe Generale bank opens onto the square.
In front of the Opera Garnier, in the coming years, it is planned to erect a monument to S. P. Diaghilev. The model of the bronze statue, created by the sculptor V. Mitroshin, won the creative competition held under the patronage of French President J. Chirac and his wife Bernadette. The author of the project depicted S. P. Diaghilev in full growth in a theatrical tailcoat, top hat and with a cane in his hands. On the pedestal of the monument there will be a bas-relief depicting Petrushka pulling back the curtain.
Address: La place Diaghilev, Paris 75009
Metro: Chaussée d'Antin La Fayette
RER Train: Auber, Haussmann - Saint-Lazare