Place du Carrousel is located in the first district of Paris between the Louvre and the Tuileries Gardens.
A look into the past
On the map of Paris, Carruzel Square appeared in the year 1662. It was created at the behest of King Louis XIV to celebrate the birth of the heir. the program of which included a demonstration of the skill of cavalrymen during horse dressage - the Carrusel. Until that time, in the wasteland between the Tuileries Palace and the wall of Charles V, from the 1600 year there was the palace of the Duchess of Montpensier, demolished in the 1655 year.
During the French Revolution at the end of the 18th century. Place Carruzel became the site of public executions. For several years in these turbulent days, it was renamed Brotherhood Square. A guillotine was installed on it, on which dozens of people were executed, including the writer J. Cazotte and the minister of the government of Louis XVI A. de Laporte.
At the beginning of the 19th century under Napoleon I, the area was expanded after the demolition of old houses. A few decades later, during the Second Empire, under the reign of Napoleon III, the square became even more spacious.
During the Paris Commune of 1871, the Tuileries Palace built for Catherine de Medici was set on fire by the rebels. The fire almost completely destroyed it and after the suppression of the uprising the palace was not rebuilt, and in 1883 the borders of the square were again pushed westward.
The architectural ensemble of the square
On the eastern side of the square is the Museum of the Royal Palace of the Louvre (Musée du Louvre), in front of which in the courtyard of Napoleon is located the famous glass pyramid designed by architect Jo Ming Pei. On the north and south sides, it is also partially framed by the two wings of the royal palace, Denon and Richelieu.
In the center of the square from 1989 of the year in the middle of a round platform with hedges from the bush there is an inverted pyramid of the Louvre (La Pyramide inversée du Louvre), most of which is hidden underground. This structure, designed by Yo Ming Pei with dimensions of sides 16 m and height 7 m, weighs about 160 tons.
In 1807-1809, in commemoration of the French victory at Austerlitz, the Arc de Triomphe was erected on Carruzel Square. Its project was jointly developed by the architects C. Persier and P. Fontaine. The bas-reliefs and mosaics placed on its walls and vault illustrate the events of the military campaign of 1805. One of the main images is the surrender scene in Ulm.
Behind the arch on the west side, the Carruzel Garden (jardin Carruzel) adjoins the square. It is located on a small hill and is separated by the Avenue General Lemonnier (Avenue Du General Lemonnier) from Tuileries garden. The Carruzel Garden was laid out on the site of the demolished Tuileries Palace in 1883. In 1964, 20 statues by the sculptor A. Mayol were installed in the garden: Pain, Summer, Flora, Night, Pomona and many others.
Between the museum and the Arc de Triomphe in the square there are two classicism statues made by the sculptor AF. Gerard. Two female figures symbolize the History of France and its military victories.
Near Carruzel Square is the large underground shopping center, Carrousel du Louvre, opened in 1993. Its largest tenants are Sephora, Esprit and the stores Mariage Frères Tea, Plaisirs de Paris, Swarovski, Perigot, Le Tanneur and Fossil. The first Apple store in France opened here. Directly from the shopping center you can go to the Louvre.
Address: Place du Carrousel, Paris 75001.