Place de la Croix du Trahoir in Paris

sights

The old square Croix du Travea (La place de la Croix du Trahoir) appeared on the map of Paris in the late Middle Ages. Located at the intersection of the streets of Saint-Honoré and Arbroux-Sec leading to the north, south, west and east, it has always been a very busy place.

Mark on history

В 16-17 в. на площадь Круа-дю-Травеа проводились публичные казни. Совсем не далеко от неё находился монетный двор, поэтому наказывали в основном фальшивомонетчиков, но иногда случались исключения. Некоторые из них были связаны с разногласиями по вере: накануне религиозных войн в 1536 году на ней были преданы огню несколько лютеран.

В 1698 году казни были прекращены, но площадь продолжала использоваться для менее радикальных публичных экзекуций. До 1739 года здесь отрезали уши уличенных в воровстве слугам. По легенде на ней постоянно находились пыточное колесо, известное как «сухое дерево». До революционных событий конца X18 в. на площади находился крест, предназначавший для молитв кающихся грешников.

In 1648, in one of the buildings on the square, the councilor of the Paris parliament, nicknamed "the father of the people" Pierre Brussel, was arrested. This event was one of the impetus to the beginning of the Fronde and led to violent clashes on the barricades of the supporters of P. Brussels with the royal troops.

Source of life and inspiration

The main attraction of the square is the Croix-du-Travea fountain, which would be more correctly called the water tower. It first appeared here during the Renaissance during the reign of Francis I. In 1529, the fountain was built by the architect Jean Goujon and was intended to supply water to the residents of the area, the nearest aristocratic mansions and the Palais Royal.

By 1775, the fountain was in a dismal state and was performing poorly. Its reconstruction was entrusted to the architect Jacques-Germain Soufflot, who erected for it an original building of complex configuration with decorative decorations in the form of stone bossage projections. All mechanisms and pumps for supplying water to residential buildings are located on several floors of the building.

It is interesting to read:  Sevastopol Boulevard in Paris

Water could also be drawn directly from the walls of the tower: its small stream flowed out of the mascaron in the form of a man's head with an open mouth. The walls of the Croix-du-Traveis fountain are also decorated with bas-reliefs depicting half-naked nymphs by the sculptor Louis Boyzou.

There is a plaque on the tower with an inscription in Latin, stating that Louis XVI, in the first year of his reign, ordered for the public good to completely rebuild the outdated and dilapidated water tower with greater elegance.

В середине 20 в. с развитием городского водопровода необходимость в башне отпала. После нескольких лет запустения она была передана в 1995 году в распоряжение объединения художников «Лаборатория творения». Сейчас на первом этаже находится небольшая художественная галерея, подвальное помещение отдано музыкальной студии, а верхние этажи занимают четыре творческие мастерские мастеров видео-арт и кинематографистов.

Getting there

Address: 27 Rue de l'Arbre Sec, Paris 75001
Metro: Louvre-Rivoli, Pont Neuf
Bus: Louvre - Rivoli, Pont Neuf

INFO-MANIAC