Place Maubert in Paris


Place Maubert (La place Maubert) is one of the oldest in Paris. It is located near the Sorbonne and the Saint-Victor quarter and has been known since the building of this area of ​​the city at the end of the 12th century.

Many-sided history

The origin of the name of the square is most often associated with the distorted name of the second abbot of the monastery of Saint-Genevieve, Abbot Jean Aubert. At the same time, there is a second version of the name of the area. According to this version, it comes from the name of the famous Dominican monk, theologian, philosopher and alchemist St. Albert the Great, among whose disciples was Thomas Aquinas.

In the late Middle Ages, the houses around the square housed numerous craft workshops, and on Sundays it turned into a noisy fair. Located in the heart of the Latin Quarter, Place Maubert was a favorite meeting place for students and, moreover, sometimes itself became an open-air classroom.

In the 14th century the vicinity of Place Maubert become one of the most disadvantaged areas of the city. Because of the terrible unsanitary conditions, any trade stops here, many residents leave the area, and the nearby landfill becomes a source of the spread of deadly diseases, including bubonic plague.

From the place of execution to the symbol of freedom

It was only by 40 that order in the square was restored under the fear of huge fines of 1389 sous for that time. In the 15th and 16th centuries, and especially during the reign of King Francis I, Place Maubert became one of the main places of public executions.

Most often, Huguenots are punished and executed here, accused of following heretical teachings. The gallows, the block and the pillar of shame have become an integral part of reality. For several decades, the fires of the Inquisition burned on it. Among her victims were the lawyer T. de Gravel, the jeweler C. Lepentre, the surgeon J. Poin, the bookseller A. Augereau, the freemason A. Poye.

It is interesting to read:  Bridge of the Holy Angel (Ponte Sant'Angelo) in Rome

In 1674, the Place Maubert was reconstructed anew. The accessories of cruel justice disappeared from it, and a fountain and a guardhouse were built in their place.

Place Maubert has been the scene of fateful events in the history of France and its capital more than once. Back in the 15th century she found herself at the center of clashes between the Bourguignons and the Armagnacs. In 1588, the first barricades of supporters of one of the leaders of the Catholic League, Duke de Guise, appeared on it. During the revolution of 1848, the square was again at the center of popular unrest: during the riots, the fountain and the building of the city guard were destroyed.

In the 19th century formed the modern outlines of Place Maubert. In modern Paris, it is located on the territory of the 5th arrondissement of the capital between the streets of Maitre Albert, Lagrange, St. Frederick Saton and Boulevard Saint-Germain.

Memorable places and sights

In 1889, a monument was erected on the square to Etienne Dolet, the publisher of books Francois Rabelais, a poet and a freethinker. In 1548 he was burned on this square, and at the end of the 19th century. she became one of the symbols of freethinking in Paris.

The conservative clergy, for their part, proposed erecting a monument to Michel Servet on the square, but this idea did not receive public support. The monument to one of the Protestant theologians was erected in 1904 in another place, but the statue of E. Dole was also lost during the Second World War.

Nevertheless, several tourist sites have been preserved on the square. First of all, this is a complex of mansions from the side of F. Saton Street. The houses standing on the square are also associated with the names of the governor of Quebec, Louis de Alebo, and the artist of the late 19th century. Abel Gero.

Back in 1547, the market that still exists today was opened on the square. Originally intended for trade in bread, fruits and vegetables, over time it has become completely universal. From the end of the 19th century it moved slightly towards Boulevard Saint-Germain, but retained its historical name. Three days a week on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, trade in all kinds of goods for every taste is resumed here.

It is interesting to read:  Hegoa Gallery in Paris

Getting there

Address: Place Maubert, Paris 75005
Metro: Maubert - Mutualité