The Place de la Nation traces the history of Paris and France itself. The square had three names, which is associated with political events in the country since 1660.
It was named the Throne Square when the wedding procession of King Louis XIV with his young wife Marie-Therese returned from Gascony after the wedding in Saint-Jean-de-Luz. Then a decorative throne was erected on the square, on which the newlyweds accepted offerings from the Parisians. In order to perpetuate this event, it was ordered to build a triumphal arch, however, the construction was not completed. Later, in the 18th century, two columns and two pavilions were installed here, as well as statues of the kings Philip-Augustus and Saint Louis. It was during the construction of the Wall of Farmers by Claude Nicolas Ledoux.
In 1792, the French Revolution took place, during which a guillotine was installed on the square and more than 1300 people were executed. Even the poet André Chénier and the musician Jose-François-Joseph Beno, as well as the nuns of the Monastery of Compiegne, were executed. Sister Constance sang the hymn "Praise the Lord" before her execution. After the execution, the bodies were thrown into the cemetery in the village of Piklyus. Now a memorial plaque is installed there, where 1298 people are indicated, of which it was possible to identify. In those years, the square was renamed into the Square of the Deposed Throne.
The square received its modern name on July 14, 1880 in honor of the Bastille Day holiday, and in 1899 a sculptural composition by the sculptor Jules Daloux "Triumph of the Republic" was installed on the square in honor of the centenary of the French Revolution.
The central figure is the woman Marianne, driving a chariot driven by two lions. The whole composition is symbolic. Marianne personifies the Republic, and next to it are the statues of Liberated Labor and Justice, Motherhood and Childhood. A pond was broken around the statue, and there were bronze crocodiles in it. Fountains gushed from open mouths. The whole composition is directed towards the Bastille. In 1960, the local authorities decided to remove the pond, fountains and crocodiles, as a subway was laid under the square.
Since 1880, the square began to have a rounded shape with a diameter of 252 meters. Currently, 10 streets of Paris run into the square. It is surrounded by small squares, in the center there is a square with a statue of "The Triumph of the Republic". Now the square serves as a transport interchange, and on June 22, 1963, a concert was organized on the square, which was attended by 150 thousand spectators, dedicated to the magazine "Hello, Friends".
Despite its rich history, the area is not very popular with tourists.
Address: Place de la Nation, Paris 75011