Place du Palais-Royal is located in the first arrondissement of Paris, not far from the famous Comédie-Francaise theater and the Palais-Royal garden hidden behind the facades of residential buildings.
History and layout of the square
Place Palais Royal was created in 1648 after the demolition of the Hotel Sillery, which covered the facade of the new palace of Cardinal A. de Richelieu.It has a rectangular shape and is bounded in the south by rue de Rivoli and the Louvre, in the north by the Palais -Royal) and rue Saint-Honoré. Rue Saint-Thomas-du-Louvre (rue Saint-Thomas-du-Louvre) ran along the western side of the square until the town-planning transformations of Baron Haussmann, and rue Froidmanteau was its eastern border.
In 1769, the territory of the square was enlarged to the west by the demolition of the old buildings adjoining the Trehsot Hospital (l'hôpital des Quinze-Vingts). The modern architectural ensemble of the square took shape in the second half of the 19th century. following the completion of the north wing of the Louvre, the hotel and department store de Louvre and the extension of Rue Rivoli.
Lost monuments of history and culture
Place Palais-Royal, located in the very center of Paris, has always been surrounded by very architecturally or historically interesting buildings, of which until the 21st century. not all have survived.
Among the lost buildings is the water tower built on the south side of the square in 1719 by the architect R. de Cott to supply the Louvre and the Palais Royal with water. It was destroyed by fire in 1848 during street riots that broke out in February.
Until 1673, at the corner of Rue Saint-Honoré and Valois, there was a small theater called the Petit Cardinal (théâtre du Petit Cardinal), in which Moliere not only staged his plays, but also performed roles in them. On the site of the former department store de Louvre, before its construction, there was a popular cafe, the interiors of which were decorated with frescoes by K.-N. Ledoux. In 1811, the architects Persier and Fontaine began the construction of the chapel of St. Napoleon, which ended after the campaign of Napoleon I to Russia in 1812. The building remained unfinished until it was completely dismantled.
Modern architectural ensemble
From the north side, the facade of the Palais-Royal Palace overlooks the square. Its construction was completed in 1624. Initially, it belonged to Cardinal A. de Richelieu, and from the middle of the 17th century. passed into the ownership of the Dukes of Orleans.
Now the palace is almost completely not accessible for free visiting, since it houses the State Council, the Constitutional Council and the Ministry of Culture and Communications. The exception is the western wing of the palace, which houses theater Comédie Francaise (Comedie-Française).
On the opposite side of the Palais Royal is the northern wing of the Louvre, named after Cardinal A. de Richelieu. It was built in the neo-baroque style in 1852-1857 according to the project of the architects L. Visconti and G.M. Lafuel. After moving in 1986 to the Bercy Palace of the French Ministry of Finance, its halls housed collections of French sculpture, antique and oriental art and Dutch painting.
Louvre Antique Center (Le Louvre des antiquares) is located on the east side of the square in the building of the former Louvre department store, built in the Empire style in 1852. On its three floors with a total retail area of 10 m2 there are 250 antique shops selling works of art and household items from ancient times until 1980.
The five-star luxury hotel Louvre (Hotel du Louvre) is located on the west side of the square. It was built in 1887 in a fashionable year for the second half of the 19th century. architectural style of the Second Empire and harmoniously complements the overall ensemble of the square. The life and work of K. Pizarro, Z. Freud and A. Conan Doyle are connected with this building.
Address: Place du Palais Royal, Paris 75001.
Metro: Palais Royal Musée du Louvre.