Republic Square in Paris

sights
The content of the article:

Republic Square in Paris (Place de la République) plays an important role for several reasons. Firstly, it is located at the intersection of three districts, and is a major traffic intersection (8 streets immediately converge here). Secondly, the square is decorated with a symbol of freedom-loving France - a statue of the Republic. Thirdly, the perimeter of the square is surrounded by a beautiful architectural ensemble. In addition, many events in the history and modern life of France are associated with the Republic Square.

What to see


The Republic Square is primarily interesting by the statue of the Republic located on it. On a large pedestal stands a woman with a raised hand holding a laurel branch. At her feet are the figures of women with torches, personifying Freedom, Equality and the Brotherhood. A little lower you can see the figure of a lion guarding the entire sculptural group. Near the majestic bronze lion you can see bas-reliefs, which depict various paintings from the history of France.

The southwestern part of the square has an interesting architectural ensemble, consisting of luxurious palaces built by the design of Genato Koch.

Around the square there are shops, cafes.

Freedom-loving Frenchmen often choose Republic Square as a venue for protests. Because of this, traffic jams can occur, but drivers usually do not scold demonstrators, but show their solidarity with them.

Getting there


Directly below the square is the Republique station of the Paris Metro (lines M3, M5, M8, M9, M11).

History


In the 14th century, by order of Charles V, the capital of France was protected by a powerful fortress wall. On the site of the current Republic Square, a gate protected by a bastion was located, which opened access to the city. The gate and the bastion were called Temple, and they owe their name to the order of the Templars, the monks-templars.

The city grew and fell into disarray, and over time, a square arose on the site of the former gate. In the 18th century, the center of Parisian theatrical life was located here. The Historical Theater founded by Alexandre Dumas, as well as the Funambul Theater, were located in the area of ​​\u19b\uXNUMXbthe square. It was in the Funambul Theater that the image of the famous sad character Pierrot was born. All these theaters were demolished during the expansion of Republic Square in the middle of the XNUMXth century.

It is interesting to read:  Park Belleville (Parc de Belleville) in Paris

In general, in the 19th century, Republic Square underwent the greatest changes. So, in 1811, by order of Emperor Napoleon, the Chateau d'Eau fountain was installed on it. Another fountain was added to it in 1867. Subsequently, both of them were moved due to the fact that a statue of the Motherland, that is, the Republic, was installed on the square, but about it a little later.

In the 1854 year, the area was subjected to large-scale reconstruction, thanks to which the area was expanded to its current size 340x100 m. The area was increased due to the absorption of part of the Boulevard du Temple. On this boulevard in 1838, Jacques Daguerre first took a photograph with a human figure in the frame. And in 1835 on the Boulevard du Temple, Giuseppe Fieschi made an attempt to kill the citizen king Louis Philippe. Fieschi used an infernal machine consisting of 20 pistols. 18 people were killed as a result of the attempt, but the king himself was not injured. However, the expansion of the area did not leave us traces of these events. At the same time, the theaters of Dumas and Funambul were demolished.

The expansion of the area was largely due to military purposes. Instead of the demolished buildings, the barracks of Prince Eugene were built on the square, later renamed the Chateau d'Eau barracks, and the vast territory of the square was used as a parade ground for drill drill. Also, by order of the then Prefect of Paris, Baron Haussmann, rectilinear boulevards overlooking the square were laid. Unlike the winding old streets of Paris, they were very convenient for direct artillery fire in the event of hostilities or civil unrest.

In 1879, the idea arose to erect a monument on the square that would symbolize the Mother Republic. For this purpose, both fountains from the square were moved (one to Park lil-Willet, the other to Felix Ebue Square). The Third Republic announced a competition for the design of the monument, the winners of which were Maurice. Leopold Maurice sculpted the sculptures, and Charles Maurice was responsible for the pedestal for them. The opening of the monument took place in 1883 year.

It is interesting to read:  Rotunda Square in Rome
Source
INFO-MANIAC