United States Square (Place des Etats-Unis) in Paris

The content of the article:

The United States Square (Place des Etats-Unis) was formed in 1866 between rue Dumont d'Urville and avenue Jena on the site of cisterns that accumulated water for the fountains of the Passy district. Until 1881, it was called the Place de Bitche, in honor of the commune in Lorraine, whose inhabitants became famous for their heroism during the Franco-Prussian war of 1870.

After the opening of the American Embassy on the square, it was renamed at the request of diplomats due to the dissonant sound of the former name in English. Its current dimensions are about 200 m long and about 60 m wide.

Square Attractions

Around the United States Square, there are a large number of remarkable buildings and mansions, some of which belong to foreign embassies. The former villa of Countess Rosa Branicka (No. 1), where the flower of the Polish emigration regularly gathered, is now occupied by the Kuwaiti Embassy.

The mansion of the banker Jean Ephrucy (No. 2) has been the Parisian residence of King Farhad I of Egypt since 1922, and the first American embassy was located in No. 3. Olga von Meyerdorf's small brick villa (no. 3b), before becoming the embassy of Bahrain, was a meeting place for writers, artists and politicians.

House number six used to belong to the Russian prince Alexander Baryatinsky and the daughter of Emperor Alexander I, Ekaterina Yurievskaya. Next to it was the mansion of the dancer Ida Rubinstein, destroyed during the Second World War.

The mansion of the banker Raoul Bischofheim and his granddaughter, Viscountess Marie-Laure de Noaille (No. 1895), built by the architect Ernest Sanson in 11, can boast of an extremely rich history. Frequent guests of her salon were filmmakers J. Cocteau, L. Bunuel, M. Ray and artists P. Picasso, A. Giacometti, S. Dali, A. Mathis.

It is interesting to read:  Disabled Boulevard in Paris

In 1919, US President Woodrow Wilson, who arrived at the Paris Peace Conference, stayed in this house. At the end of the 20th century Bakkara Cristal opened a crystal museum there.

Small park

Since 1881, the central part of the United States Square has been occupied by Thomas Jefferson Square. Among its alleys and lawns with flower beds, there is a recreation area with a children's playground, but it is notable primarily for its sculptures.

The most famous monument in T. Jefferson Square is dedicated to the Franco-American Union. It was created by Frederick Bartholdi for the renowned publisher Joseph Pulitzer. In his bronze composition, the author used images of D. Washington and G. de Lafayette, allies in the US War of Independence. He depicted them standing in military uniform against the background of the flags of the two states and shaking hands. The monument on a marble pedestal was installed in the park in 1895.

In the spring of 1910, a monument to the dentist and anesthesiologist Horace Wales, created by the sculptor René Bertrand-Boutier, was erected there. The medallion on the pedestal of the monument also contains a sculptural portrait of the physician-physiologist Paul Bert.

The monument to American volunteers who participated in the First World War was opened on July 4, 1923 in the presence of the Prime Minister of the country, Raymond Poincaré. The monument was designed by the sculptor Jean Boucher. In the work on the monument, he used photographs of the poet Alan Seeger and the French soldier as a model. The stone panels on each side of the sculptural composition depict the words from "An Ode in Memory of American Volunteers Who Fell in France."

The fourth monument of the square was the statue of Leon Draver, erected in 1937 in memory of M. Herrick, who was in France after the United States. The United States Square also commemorates the tragic events in New York on September 11, 2001.

It is interesting to read:  Place de la Concorde in Paris

Getting there

Address: Place des Etats-Unis, Paris 75116
Metro: Boissiere
Bus: Kléber - Paul Valery