The Tauride Palace is located in St. Petersburg near the Smolny Monastery and the Smolny Institute. This building is the St. Petersburg residence of Prince G.A. Potemkin, omnipotent nobleman of Catherine’s time.
How did the name appear
Commander-in-chief of the Russian-Turkish troops, leader in the creation of the Black Sea Fleet, founder of the cities of Kherson, Nikolaev, Sevastopol, he was the first owner of the Tauride Palace.
In 1783, after the accession of ancient Tauris (Crimea) to Russia, Potemkin received the title of “His Grace Prince of Tauride”.
Catherine II presented the chic palace to the omnipotent favorite for the capture of the Turkish fortress Ismail. It was originally called the Horse Guards House by the name of the settlement in which Potemkin had once served.
Potemkin himself lived here on short visits, because the post of governor-general of Azov, Arkhangelsk province did not allow to stay for a long time.
The Tauride Palace received its modern name after the death of Potemkin by order of Catherine II, who wanted to perpetuate the memory of the accession of Tauris to Russia.
History of construction, reconstruction and use
The majestic palace was built for the prince by architect Ivan Egorovich Starov, Potemkin's classmate in the gymnasium of Moscow University. The palace was erected on Shpalernaya street on the left bank of the Neva. 400 rubles in gold were spent on its construction and decoration.
The architect built not just a house, but a unique country villa, which was unparalleled both in terms of its bold architectural solution and the richness of its interior design. Construction was carried out in the period 1783-1789, although the interior decoration continued for several more years.
After Potemkin’s death, the architect Fedor Volkov restored it according to his design. A church was erected on the site of the Great Hall, and a portico was added to the main entrance - an indoor gallery, the ceiling of which rests on columns.
Catherine II began to spend time here often. By its highest resolution, the commander A. Suvorov lived here, then the historian Nikolai Karamzin, who spent the last years of his life in it.
The new architect turned the concert hall into a theater, at the entrance to which a canal connecting the Neva was dug, so that small vessels could sail to the Tauride. Under Paul I, an arena and barracks were set up here.
At the beginning of the 20th century, the palace transferred to the State Duma. After the October Revolution, it housed the Provisional Government. Subsequently, the Petrograd Soviet of Workers' Deputies settled. Until 1990 - Leningrad Higher Party School.
Today, the palace is the headquarters of the Inter-Parliamentary Assembly of the CIS countries. The Council of Legislators sits in it - a special deliberative body of both chambers of the Russian Parliament.
Today, the Tauride Palace performs a cultural and educational function. Temporary and permanent exhibitions are open here. Interesting tours, scientific conferences are held. Organ concerts and orchestral music are regularly held.
Architectural features of the Tauride Palace
The architect built the palace in a new style for St. Petersburg - classicism.
The standard of the Russian palace estate
At the heart of the building are four rooms. These are the Dome Hall, the Grand Gallery (Catherine’s Hall), the lobby and the Winter Garden. The building with an area of 65700 square meters was at that time one of the largest in Europe.
The project was based on a traditional manor scheme - the main building and wings connected by galleries. They cover a large front yard.
After the construction was completed, the architect was besieged by numerous people who wanted to order him a project of their house. The simplicity and convenience of construction impressed everyone.
Simplicity and originality of appearance
Outside, the palace looked quite simple: there are no platbands on the windows, nor a sculpture on the building itself. This gave a strict, classic, almost ascetic appearance, devoid of unnecessary jewelry.
Architectural ensemble The Tauride Palace consists of a main, central 12-meter two-story building with a six-column portico. A drum with a flat dome crowns him.
Two side wings give the building a U-shape. The facade of the building is stretched to a length of 260 meters. The smooth planes of the walls are cut through by high windows.
On the sides, one-story, more modest galleries approach the Tauride Palace building, which combine the house with outbuildings topped with domed towers. It housed small living rooms, dance rooms, a concert hall.
The architectural complex of the Tauride Palace includes the house of the garden master V. Gould, who in 1800 laid the Tauride Garden.
The panorama originally opened from the Neva. In front of the palace is a floral stall and a round harbor, connected by a canal to the Neva. On the shore of the harbor was a granite marina, where the vessels of the Potemkin pleasure fleet stood.
Behind the building is the Tauride Garden. On its territory there are low hills, small artificial ponds, flowing canals, wooden bridges, large flower beds, greenhouses, greenhouses for exotic plants.
Lounges and lobby
The “simple” Tauride Palace created all conditions for a magnificent life. Its interior is very rich.
Furnishing and furnishing - everything fully corresponds to the sophistication and richness of Potemkin's life.
At the entrance - double colonnade of the main portico. Three entrances lead to the spacious lobby. The main one was distinguished by the majestic jasper and granite pillars of the Triumphal Gate.
The gates are located in the Dome Hall, which is decorated with original columns, faience stoves decorated with glaze and gold
This lavishly decorated room prepares for the reception of the magnificent colossal dimensions of the Catherine Hall and the Winter Garden.
Grand Gallery (Catherine Hall)
Catherine’s Hall is the central building of the entire Tauride Palace. In his device, the architect introduced elements of ancient architecture - monumentality, rigor and grace of proportions. At the same time, he managed to breathe life forms of human warmth into strict forms.
This is a huge room, during celebrations and holidays it can accommodate up to xnumx thousand people. Hall length 74,5 meters, width 14, 9 meters.
The ceiling is richly painted. For its backwater, they put 6 lubok trees in the form of coconut palms with tin leaves painted green.
Fireplaces, figured stoves, bizarre paintings of plafonds and walls create the unique flavor of a huge hall.
A double openwork colonnade separates it from the Winter Garden. This creates the illusion of an infinity of palace chambers. In the center on a pedestal stands a statue of Catherine II by the Russian sculptor F.I. Fur coat.
All the decoration of the garden is designed to recall the grandeur and beauty of the world. A variety of rural landscapes on the walls of the garden reinforced the impression of limitless distances.
Behind a multitude of mirrors of the same size were hidden furnaces, providing life-giving warmth to the space of the garden.
In the lush tall grass large glass balls filled with water. Gold and silver fish swam in them. Rare exotic plants captivated the eye.
Spacious valleys with visible hills, artificial quiet ponds, numerous wide alleys reminded of the greatness of nature.
Other front rooms
The main premises of the Tauride Palace include:
- Picture gallery.
- Tapestry lounge.
- Chinese Hall.
In the White Dome Hall, in a room with excellent acoustics, an organ was installed under Potemkin.
In February 2010, the Barcelona organ company commissioned and commissioned a large organ in the White Dome Hall of the Tauride Palace.
The instrument is 6 meters high and 5 meters wide and has 23 registers. It is suitable for performing both ancient French and German music, as well as organ music by contemporary authors.
The famous ball in the Tauride Palace
In his last year of life, in the spring of 1791, Prince Potemkin arrived at the palace to win the Empress’s heart from the new young favorite Plato Zubov.
In the Tauride Palace was given an unheard of splendor of triumph. All the luxury and magic with which Potemkin was able to surround himself were surpassed that day.
As a goddess, Catherine was met in the Tauride Palace. Choirs poems Derzhavin praised the incomparable empress. Vain efforts! The next day, Catherine showed the appearance that she took this magical holiday for a farewell evening.
So contemporaries saw the Tauride Palace of Prince Potemkin, designed by architect Ivan Egorovich Starov. Palace, simple outside and chic inside.
Excursions in the Tavricheskiy Palace
You can visit the three main halls, as well as learn the history of the complex and see exhibitions only as part of an excursion.
You can visit the Tavrichesky Palace only by prior arrangement. You must show your passport at the entrance.
Guided tours run from Monday to Friday, 10:00 am to 16:00 pm, and last 60 minutes.
An application for an excursion in the Taurida Palace can be made by phone +7 (812) 326-69-11 or by e-mail: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also fill out a special form on the website of the Center for the History of Parliamentarism parlament-history.ru/tours/tour_order/.
The Tavrichesky Palace is located at Shpalernaya Street, 47. It is located in the Tavrichesky Garden, next to which there are other sights of St. Petersburg - the A. V. Suvorov Museum, the Tin Soldier Museum, the Greenhouse and the Universe of Water Museum.
It is not difficult to get to the palace, the Chernyshevskaya metro station is a 17-minute walk away.
At the crossroads there is a public transport stop "Shpalernaya (Tavricheskaya st.)", Where buses No. 46, 54, 136 run; and minibus number 76.
From the center of the Northern capital, you can reach the palace by car in about 10 minutes.
For a trip, you can order a taxi through the mobile applications Yandex. Taxi, Taxovichkof, Lucky, Concorde, Maxim, Gett, Uber.