Ranleg garden (Le jardin du Ranelagh) in Paris

sights

Named after the British politician, the Rennelagh Garden (Le jardin du Ranelagh) is located in the diplomatic quarter of the 16th arrondissement of the French capital and is remarkable for its original layout designed by engineer Jean-Charles Alphand and its puppet theater.

Romantic corner and tribune of politicians

The emergence of the Renleg Garden is associated with M. Morrisan's interest in English culture. Impressed by a trip to the island and a visit to the gardens of Count J. Ranleg in Chelsea, by 1774 he obtained permission from Marshal Charles de Soubis to break the French le petit Ranelagh with a dance hall and a restaurant on the grounds of the Muet castle.

The Renleg Garden was a favorite resting place of Queen Marie Antoinette. In an effort to avoid the conventions prevailing at the Palace of Versailles, she preferred to come here for secular balls held in a pavilion specially built for this in the form of a rotunda.

At the end of the 18th century the Renleg garden with its cafe and restaurant has become a mecca for Parisian fashionistas. However, on the eve of the French Revolution, it was also one of the popular venues for political disputes, in which Maximilian Robespierre and Georges-Jacques Danton participated.

After the collapse of the empire of Napoleon Bonaparte, the Russian expeditionary force was located in the Renleg Garden in 1814-1815. Its buildings and pavilions were adapted for hospitals and cavalry stables. In 1818, a devastating hurricane damaged the ballroom so badly that it made no sense to rebuild it.

During the years of the Restoration and the Second Empire, Renleg Garden experienced a "renaissance". And yet, the former popularity did not return to him, even despite the construction in 1834 of a new pavilion designed by the architect Antoine-Marie Peyrat.

A new chapter in history

In 1860, at the suggestion of Baron Georges-Eugene Haussmann, the Renlegues garden was declared public domain. Dozens of new trees were planted along its alleys, mainly chestnuts, beeches and ash trees. Along with it, Byzantine hazels, American gleditsia, Caucasian pterocaria grow in the garden. Some of the trees in the garden are more than 200 years old and reach a height of 21-28 m.

It is interesting to read:  Arc de Triomphe in Paris

A number of alleys in Renleg Park have their own names. In 2011, one of them was named after the singer and actress Davia, and the other bears the name of her friend, also singer Jean Sablon. After 4 years, another alley was named after the philanthropist and activist of the women's rights movement Avril de Saint-Croix.

Various attractions for children have added to its appeal, starting with the classic carousel with wooden horses. However, you can also ride real ponies in Ranelag Garden. Another of its attractions is the puppet theater, which is open only in the warm season, with the exception of August.

Garden sculptures

In different parts of the garden, while walking along the alleys, you will have to stop at numerous statues more than once in order to take memorable photos and look at the sculpture from all sides. The oldest of them is the statue of the biblical Cain, created by the sculptor Joseph Kayle in 1871.

At the end of the 19th century several more statues of successful sculptors of this time were erected in the Renleg garden. In 1882, the statue "Meditation" by Tony Noel appeared on one of its alleys, and a year later, a marble sculpture by Louis-Eugène Lonly "The Fisherman" was added to it. Only in 1985, the alleys of the park were decorated with the composition "Visions of the Poet" created by Georges Barevu back in 1902 and consisting of sculpture and bas-relief.

The original sculptural composition by Charles Correy is dedicated to the famous fabulist La Fontaine. Installed in 1984, the bronze figure of the writer resembles a fairy gnome, at whose feet the heroes of his fable, a raven and a fox, are located.

More recently, a stone stella-vatolachi appeared in the garden near the Madagascar embassy in memory of the years of the joint struggle of the French and the Malagasy against the Nazi troops during World War II.

It is interesting to read:  Vendome Column (La colonne Vendôme) in Paris

Getting there

Address: 1 Avenue Prudhon, Paris 75016
Phone: +33 1 01 01 01 01
Metro: La Muette, Ranelagh
RER Train: Gare de Boulainvilliers, Gare d'Avenue Henri Martin
Bus: Louis Boilly Ranelagh
Run time: 00:00-24:00

Source
INFO-MANIAC