The Central Museum of Tavrida is a museum of the history and nature of Crimea in the city of Simferopol. The halls showcase more than 150 historical, cultural, natural exhibits covering all eras and major events that took place on the peninsula. The museum building is an object of cultural heritage of the peoples of the Russian Federation, protected by the state.
History of the Crimean Museum
The history of the modern museum goes back to two institutions: the Museum of Antiquities (1887) under the direction of the Tauride Scientific Archival Commission and the Zemsky Natural History Museum (1899). The collection of the Museum of Antiquities was replenished with donations from residents of the Crimea, the names of donors could be found in the annual reports published by TUAK. These were various cultural and historical artifacts: coins, ceramics, maps, prints, manuscripts and other objects of art and life of various eras and peoples living in Crimea.
The funds of the Natural History Museum were replenished with the help of independent expeditions. The exposition of this museum presented objects of natural origin: minerals, stuffed animals and birds, ancient fossils, the remains of prehistoric animals, etc.
Both museums suffered from a lack of space to host full expositions. The idea of unification arose even before the revolution, but it was only possible to realize it in the 1921 year, which should be considered the real year of birth of the Museum of Tauris. The institution was located in two buildings: the former girl’s shelter of Countess Adlerberg and the building of the Officers' Assembly.
After the Second World War, the museum was renamed the Crimean Museum of Local Lore. During perestroika, the museum was allocated a building of pre-revolutionary time at ul. Gogol, d. 18. He again received his historical name. The Taurida Museum not only exhibits objects in the central building, but also holds visiting exhibitions in the Crimea and in other regions of the Russian Federation. In addition to the main building, the Taurida Museum complex includes:
- Alushta Museum of History and Local Lore (branch);
- Tavrika fundamental library named after A. Steven;
- Memorial to the victims of the occupation Concentration Camp "Red".
What's interesting inside
Now the Central Museum of Tauris has a collection of more than 100 thousand items related to the material, natural and spiritual history of the Crimea from the Paleolithic era to the present day.
This is the largest collection of objects of all ages on the peninsula, collected during archaeological expeditions and with donations from caring citizens.
The museum’s collections also contain personal archives of such famous Crimean researchers as Christian Steven, Alexander Berthier-Delagard, Peter Köppen.
Of particular value is the Tavrika library, which contains more than 40 thousand volumes on the history and archeology of the region, as well as old books and manuscripts. Among them, one can note the handwritten Pentateuch of the 11th century, volumes of the Elseviers edition (15th century), Russian spiritual books and other works of great historical and cultural value.
All museum halls
In total, the museum has several permanent exhibits:
- "The Past of Tauris" - a collection of archaeological finds from the Paleolithic to the late Middle Ages (products from stone, bone, iron and bronze, the history of the ancient peoples who inhabited Crimea from the ancient era to the Great Migration)
- "Golden Pantry" - a collection of historical items made of precious metals and stones from the 2nd century BC. e. before the 15th century;
- "Lapidarium" - a collection of tombstones, stelae, slabs of different eras and peoples, from antiquity exhibits and Polovtsian stone women to statues of the 19th century;
- "Crimea during the Russo-Turkish Wars" - a collection of military items of the 16th-18th centuries, including items found at the battlefields (cold and firearms, banners, maps, bullets, cannonballs, pectoral crosses, etc.) ;
- the exhibition "Tauride Province" is dedicated to the history of the peninsula from the end of the 18th century until the revolution of the 1917 of the year when it was part of the Russian Empire;
- “Crimea during the Great Patriotic War” is a collection of items related to the most important battles on the territory of the peninsula and the period of occupation.
2 museum expositions are devoted to the natural history of the Crimean peninsula:
- “Nature of Crimea: paleontology, geology, relief” - samples of minerals, minerals and rocks of the peninsula, fossils of plants and animals of the prehistoric era;
- “Preserved Landscapes of Crimea” - a collection of exhibits of flora and fauna characteristic of various landscape zones of the peninsula.
In addition to permanent exhibitions, temporary thematic exhibitions dedicated to the history of the Crimean peninsula are held. For example, the building has a virtual exhibition hall for one exhibit, Rarity, in which the only exhibited item is presented in an informal light and changes from time to time.
Contact information and tickets
Museum address: Russia, Republic of Crimea, Simferopol, st. Gogol, d. 14.
Schedule: 09: 00 - 18: 00, ticket office until 17: 30 (weekdays, except Thursday, Saturday and Sunday), 09: 00 - 20: 00, ticket office until 19: 30 (Thursday). Tuesday is a day off.
Sightseeing tours of the museum: on weekdays - at 10: 00, 12: 00, 14: 00, 16: 00, on Thursday - at 11: 15, 13: 00, 15: 00, 17: 00 on weekends : 10, 00: 13, 00: 15.
Ticket price: 120 RUR adult, 60 RUR preferential. Visit to one section: 60 RUR adult ticket, 30 RUR - preferential. Private sightseeing tour - 500 RUR.
Order excursions and help by phone (3652) 27-63-47.
How to get to the Central Museum
The Central Museum of Tavrida is located in the capital of the Republic of Crimea - Simferopol at the address: st. Gogol, 14.
The museum is located in the central part of the city near Seminarsky Square, nearby are the K. Trenev Park, the N. Gogol Theater and the Museum of the History of Simferopol. You can get to the Tauris Museum on several types of public transport:
- by buses No. 3, No. 6, No. 7, No. 30, No. 55, No. 70, No. 98 (stop "Trenev Park");
- on trolleybuses No. 4, No. 5, No. 7, No. 9, No. 10, No. 15 (stop - “Park named after Trenev);
- by fixed-route taxis No. 4 (stop - "Pushkin Street"), No. 1, No. 2, No. 8, No. 10, No. 13, No. 15, No. 25, No. 36, No. 48, No. 50, No. 52, No. 54, No. 57, No. 63, No. 69, No. 73, 79, No. 80, No. 83, No. 85, No. 86, No. 89, No. 91, No. 99, No. 105, No. 112, No. 115, No. 118 (stop "Park named after Trenev).