Noisy-le-Sec - a suburb of Paris

Countries and cities

The eastern suburb of Paris, Noisy-le-Sec, is located just over 9 km from the capital on the Romainville plateau. The commune is part of the canton of Bobigny in the department of Seine-Saint-Denis.

Historical overview

The first settlement on the site of the modern commune of Noisey-le-Sec, according to archaeological data, existed at the beginning of our era. In written sources, it was first mentioned in the chronicles of the 9th century. Throughout the Middle Ages, these were monastic lands, first granted by King Lothar to the abbey of Saint-Maur-de-Fosse in 842, and later became the fiefdom of Saint-Martin-de-Champs, Saint-Denis.

Until the beginning of the 19th century, it was a small village whose inhabitants were mainly engaged in the cultivation of grapes. A big change for them came with the completion of the railway, which shortened the travel time from Paris to this green and peaceful suburb. Being close to nature has made it a popular summer destination for Parisians.

At the beginning of the 20th century Noisy-le-Sec is an important railway junction on the Grand Ring Road surrounding Paris. The economy of the town at that time was also based on the development of a gypsum deposit and old quarries.

During World War II, many neighborhoods of residential buildings were completely destroyed as a result of massive bombing in April 0. In 1944, along with 1948 other municipalities in the Ile-de-France region, Noisy-les-Sec was declared a disaster zone due to the great destruction during the war.

In subsequent years, Noisy-le-Sec became a kind of experimental platform, where new technologies of housing construction were tested, which was reflected in the uniqueness of the architectural appearance of the commune. The projects of the new quarters of the commune were carried out by specialists from Switzerland, England, Sweden, Finland, the USA and Canada under the coordination of the architects R. Detry and A. Ketreme.

It is interesting to read:  Rambouillet - a suburb of Paris

sights

On the streets of Noisy-les-Sec, the Teatro de Bergerie, the city hall, the Chapel of the Holy Spirit and the residential buildings of the Merlan quarter unwittingly attract attention with its interesting architecture.

Church Saint-Etienne

The current church of Saint-Étienne (L'église Saint-Étienne) was built at the end of the 16th century on the site of an old temple built in 992 by masons from the abbey of Saint-Maur. The turbulent events of the French Revolution had disastrous consequences for her, but by 1823 the church had been restored.

In 1876, the sacristy of the church was rebuilt and a new organ was installed. During the Allied air raids in 1944, the bell tower of the church was lost, the restoration of which was done only in 1991. In the altar of the church there is a valuable painting by O. F. Perrodier with a story about the sufferings of St. Stephen.

Church Saint-Jean-Baptiste

Another interesting temple of the city was built in 1929-1931 on the site of the chapel of John the Baptist. This one-nave church with side chapels is covered with a dome of complex construction.

In 1971, the Church of Saint-Jean-Baptiste (Eglise Saint-Jean-Baptiste) was renovated by the architect P. Lel. The bell tower, lost during the Second World War, was never restored. In 1983, three new stained glass windows with scenes from the life of John the Baptist, created by the artist MD, appeared in the windows of the church. Givel. In 2010, P.E.Elbek replaced the altar and pulpit of the temple.

Center for Contemporary Art

Since 1999, the Galerie center d'art contemporain has been opened in the commune, housed in an old residential building designed by the architect Charles Barrot in 1880.

Its exposition demonstrates the avant-garde trends of fine art, and during creative meetings with artists and sculptors, it provides an opportunity to learn a lot about the prevailing trends in its development.

It is interesting to read:  Melun - a suburb of Paris

How to get from Paris

From the RER station there is a direct train RER E to the station Noisy-le-Sec. You can also get here from the Gare de Lyon, first on the RER A, reaching the Val de Fontenay station, then transferring to the RER E train to the Noisy-le-Sec station. Travel time will be about 20 minutes.

Source
INFO-MANIAC