Suburb of Paris Clichy-la-Garenne

Countries and cities

The administrative center of the canton and the commune of Clichy-la-Garenne is located 9 km north-west of the center of Paris in the department of Aux-de-Seine.

History

История Клиши-ла-Гаренн насчитывает более 1000 лет. Под разными названиями поселение на его месте существует с 7 в. В 635 году оно называлось Клиппикум сапериус (Clippicum superius), в 652 году известно как Клипакум (Clipiacum), а с 717 года носит название Клиппако (Clippiaco).

Since the reign of the Frankish king Clothar II, Clichy-la-Garenne has become an important royal residence of the Merovingians. Here was the courtyard of Dagobert and Sigisbert III. In 885, the royal palace and fortress were burned down by the Normans, but later rebuilt again. The last French king to live almost permanently in Clichy was Philip Augustus. In 1193 he ceded this palace to G. de Chatillon in exchange for the castle of Pierrefonds.

In 1429, not far from Clichy-la-Garenne, significant events for the whole of France took place. On the field near the village, J. d'Arc gathers the militia with which she intends to go to storm Paris.

В 17-18 в. размеры прихода Клиши-ла-Гаренн сокращаются из-за и изменения границ Парижа. В революционные годы на короткий период в 1793-1795 годах деревня была переименована в Клиши-ла-Патриот. В 1814 году в городе размещался штаб армии маршала Б. А. Ж. Монси, защищавшей Париж от наступающих русских войск.

В начале 19 в. строительство железной дороги символизирует наступление эпохи индустриализации в Клиши-ла-Гаренн. В конце Второй империи в городе возводятся первые кварталы социального жилья для рабочих. Микрорайон Жофруа-Рено был спроектирован архитектором Л. А. Пикардоми построен 1870-1880 годах. В 20 в. в городе было открылись десятки промышленных предприятий, в том числе цеха и офисы таких всемирно известных фирм, как Ситроен, БИК и Лореаль.

It is interesting to read:  Dourdan - a suburb of Paris

Attractions of the area

Church Saint-Medard

Церковь Сен-Медар (L’église Saint-Médard) построена на месте первого храма Клиши-ла-Гаренн в 13 в. В 1525 году возникла необходимость в её ремонте и расширении. Следующий раз это было сделано в 1620-е годы, а в 1900 году церковь была объединена с соседним небольшим храмом.

В архитектурном отношении это одно нерфная церковь базиликального типа с ложными сводами и квадратной массивной колокольней.

Интерьер храма украшают три оконных витража, созданные стекольщиком Ф. Файаликсом. Их сюжетами послужили сцены из жизни Сент-Винсента де Поля. В 1966 году была заменена церковная мебель, на стенах храма появился барельеф скульптора В. Секли, а в алтарной части металлическая люстра, символизирующая терновый венец Христа.

Pavilion Vendome

The Pavillon Vendôme was built in a classical style in 1670. In 1697, the Duke and Grand Prior of France, F. de Vendome, bought it for his beloved opera singer F. Moreau.

Soon after that, the pavilion was rebuilt according to the project of J. Mansard. The sculptor J.-B. Potlet, who executed relief decorations for the pediment and medallions in 1699, and the artist K. Audren, who painted the ceiling of the living room.

People's House

The People's House (La Maison du peuple), built according to the project of M. Lods, J. Baudouin, J. Prov and V. Bodyanski in 1935-1938, is considered one of the first examples of modern architecture. During its construction, reinforced concrete structures and a metal frame were used.

In the building with transforming walls and ceilings, some of the rooms used advanced technologies for their time.

Hospital Bojon

The revolutionary concept was used by the architect J. Walter when working on the project of the Beaujon Hospital (L'hôpital Beaujon).

Built in 1935, the building is one of the first examples of a multi-storey block hospital in Europe, replacing a traditional multi-cottage complex.

It is interesting to read:  Boulogne-Billancourt - a suburb of Paris

Entrepôts du Printemps office building

К началу 20 в. относится строительство памятника архитектуры в стиле модерн ‒ офисного здания Entrepôts du Printemps (1908).


In the project developed by R.O.Simone, new building materials play a huge role: metal, glass, reinforced concrete. The facade of the building is decorated with the techniques of the popular art nouveau style. The main dome of the building is made of 3 thousand glass panels by the master Breri.

Salengro Park

The central city park of Salengro (Le parc Salengro) until 1937 was named after the stage name of the actress E. D. Mesange-Denin - Denin Park. In 1895, an agreement was signed between her daughter V.L. Delibes and the city hall of Clichy-la-Garenne, according to which she received a lease and subsequent sale of a plot of land on which the park would be laid out.

The park was laid out in a romantic style: with a labyrinth of paths and a pond with goldfish, decorated with decorative boulders and rocks. A pavilion was also built on its territory, originally intended for the National Guard. The park was opened to the public in 1897.

В начале 20 в. была проведена реконструкция парка, в результате которой его площадь увеличилась до 24 тыс. м2.

К 1910 году были приобретены и установлены у аллей несколько скульптур, в числе которых «Нимфея» Ж. Каас и «Урок» Ф. Пи. В 1937 году парк был переименован в память мэра Лилля и министра внутренних дел Р. Саленгро.

How to get from Paris

You can get there by metro, the final stop is Place de Clichy (2 or 13 lines).

Source
INFO-MANIAC